Friday, May 20, 2011

Quote from 'Triggering Town' by Richard Hugo

Hey Wally, i still didn't forget about you....I am such a private poet, and I am working hard to not be restricted by my obsessiveness.

If you are a private poet, then your vocabulary is limited by your obsessions. It doesn't bother me
that the word "stone" appears more than thirty times in my third book, or that "wind" and "gray"
appear over and over in my poems to the disdain of some reviewers. If I didn't use them that often
I'd be lying about my feelings, and I consider that unforgivable. In fact, most poets write the same
poem over and over. Wallace Stevens was honest enough not to try to hide it. Frost's statement that he
tried to make every poem as different as possible from the last one is a way of saying that he knew it
couldn't be.

No comments:

Post a Comment