Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Next year


Next year

The wooden key-chain
is a souvenir that I acquired
from my time in Madrid.

An emblem is branded into one side:
a bear pushes up against the 'madrono',
the strawberry tree,

standing firmly against the darkened grain,
beneath the seven stars of the north,
and the arc of a thin crown.

She said that every time she looks
at pictures of her time in Australia,
she is overwhelmed with sadness;

she promises to herself
to be back within a year.

I have heard those words before,
I have uttered them myself, in my fits of desperation,
when I cannot stand my fellow New Yorkers any longer,
when I am tired of saying what I myself do not believe,

when I am thirsting for one more Spanish night.
Next year I say, perhaps, quizas?  Next year.

I am here, in Queens,
and I can't blame all the
'next years' for eluding me.

So many opportunities exist,
while my souvenir quietly hangs
from the zipper on my old blue bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment