Friday, February 18, 2011

Closer to whole

Closer to whole
To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.–Ralph Waldo Emerson

He sang the power and glory,
and did it ever come to meet him in the end?

Men like Dave
don't just flicker in the night
like dreams remembered
in the first act of waking,
then forever forgotten.

They lend us their voices,
send us messages down the wire,
so that we may see the mountain
and guide us closer to the whole.

He made me wiser
for the listening and for that
I do not sorrow for him so.

I only hope to be a flash
that bursts just half as brightly ,
a tiny potent whisper reflected
in a grand and dusty mirror,

so that my friends,
may feel for me,
as I have felt for him,
when I go.


--dedicated to American Folk/Americana Musician and Lyricist: Dave Carter

No comments:

Post a Comment